Thursday, April 2, 2009

Day 7: Defying Gravity for real

"I'm through accepting limits, 'cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change, but until I try, I'll never know."  ~Elphaba in "Wicked" from the song "Defying Gravity"

Tonight was a blowout of all blowouts for my track record of interpreted performances.  There were co-workers, family members, Deaf audience members in the audience and I did the best possible job I could do. 

We hit every piece that required simultaneous signing and I felt emotionally engaged the entire time.  Sometimes, it is easy to fall out of a show while interpreting.  When I was younger, I was afraid to show some of the emotions I was feeling as I interpreted specific characters. Interpreting is so intense sometimes - other people/character's emotions, experience and language flowing through you.  Tonight, I felt like I struck the right balance between conveying the emotional content and not stealing focus.

I'm happy.  I usually think, "I should have done this differently. This wasn't clear..."  Tonight was not perfect - there is no perfect interpretation.  But I'm pretty sure the people in the audience depending on the interpreting got most of the story and the emotional content, as well.

It was a good night.  I love interpreting theatre.

Today, I am pleased with my level of commitment, my self-discipline in rehearsing this week and today.  I gave it my all and I got an extremely satisfying result.  

1 comment:

  1. I've always been slightly in awe of anyone who can sign, however, the interpreters I've seen have blown me away. I'm so glad you were in the Zone and are pleased with your own efforts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin