Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day and Beauty

Happy Mother's Day to any mom of any kind (birth, step, would-be, wanna-be, furry-mom, teacher-mom, mentor-mom, etc.)

This is my mom - circa 1964. This is before I was born, but kind of the image I have of her in my head. Smiling, fun glasses, outdoors.
I remember when I was little and I just looked at my mom in awe - she was the most beautiful, magical person I had ever seen. In her, all things. Of her, all things. Now I know that she is a human being and at the same time, I still believe she is the most beautiful, magical person I have known.  She taught me everything I needed to know to be (I hope) a good person. She taught me to love learning, reading, to love people, to work hard, to laugh openly. I am in awe of her and all mothers everywhere.

I did this page yesterday for my art journal - I have had the image for a long time, but I had been thinking I would use it in my more Teesha Moore-style journal and hadn't glued it down - I think I didn't want to alter the photo for some reason.  I decided yesterday to put it in my other journal because I am not as compelled to alter the magazine images - these are just for me and for my own sense of enjoyment and pleasure. It meets a whole different need.  I love the photo because it shows such different kinds of beauty from different parts of the world and culture. I know that it was an ad for a special Jessica Simpson did on Beauty. I did not see the special, nor am I a fan of Jessica Simpson, however, I did like that she was examining the cultural meaning and impact of beauty standards.  I was hoping to do more art journal stuff yesterday, but I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin