Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Real Life, No Frills

I'm am regularly reminded (at least this year) that there is much real life happening when I am looking the other way.  Obviously, we all have the work we do for financial stability, but there is also the work we are meant to do in the world.  I am struggling on the boundary between the two.

Sometimes, sometimes, the work I do in the day-to-day seems ridiculous when I see the work I am meant to do in the world.  Today was one of those days - but that sense of detachment wasn't a bad thing. It allowed me to take things less personally, to worry a little less about perfection.  (I said "a little less"!)

I have a friend who is quite ill and it just serves to remind me that our time here is short and that every minute I spend worrying about doing something perfectly or trying to make everyone happy (knowing that is impossible) is a minute I could be spending making sure that those I love know how I feel about them.

"Live life. This is not a dress rehearsal." I used to have a bumper sticker that said something like that quote. I just need to pay attention more often.

2 comments:

  1. here is to the work we do in the day to day BECOMING the work we are meant to do. thanks for the reminder to pay attention to the here an now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle, for stopping by. It's all a process, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin