Saturday, November 8, 2008

Weekend Dilemmas

Every weekend, I always struggle with the same decision: stay in the house and rest up or go out and actually do something social and interesting and not related to work of any kind. Staying in the house usually wins, but I do know that I enjoy social stuff.

I think it takes so much emotional energy to just be around people, sometimes I crave the lack of stimulation home provides. At the same time, I miss the rich social connections I had in the past. I think this is a natural age progression - people get older and more settled, so social opportunities have to be made rather than letting them just happen.

To that end, I thought I would post about last weekend - I went to see "The Secret Life of Bees". I have the book and started reading it but I didn't get very far (see postings about my failed reading renaissance). So I went to see it last Sunday. It was really good. It is just the kind of movie I love - tender, a little bit of social justice, good acting, southern flavor. Jennifer Hudson was really good - I love her. She is so beautiful and talented. Queen Latifah was grand. I love her. I love her presence. She looked great and just had a great role. Alicia Keys even impressed me...I'm not a big fan of hers. She is very talented, but her music just isn't my thing. Dakota Fanning is going to be a powerhouse actress like Jodie Foster if she keeps acting and making good choices of film and stays out of the Hollywood spotlight.

Here is the trailer:



I think, in light of Barack Obama winning the election, there is a special place for this movie this fall. To juxtapose the 2008 election of the first African American president and the civil rights movement in the 1960s with how difficult it was for African American citizens to vote without being taunted, bullied, beaten and even killed is a pretty intense thing. It struck me while watching this film that we have come so far and yet, not that far in all these years. I recommend this film. If you are a movie cryer, bring tissues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin