Sunday, November 2, 2008

Book Meme without the Tagging

I don't know where this originated, but I really really really wanted to do it.  I know I won't be able to answer in one book answers, but I don't care.  I just love talking about books.  I also know this is kind of an old meme and I don't really have anyone to tag, but I wanted to do it anyway.

 1.  One book that changed your life: 

First books that changed my life:  "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" which was the first book I ever read by myself.  Dr. Seuss wasn't whistling Dixie.

"Helen Keller's Teacher" - the story of Anne Sullivan.  My sister read this book to me when we were living in the Ameila Earhart Hotel in Wiesbaden, German when I was 6 years old and had just been transported to a foreign world full of sights and smells and sounds I was unfamiliar with.  Away from family and friends, it bonded us as sisters and served as the foundation of a life-long love affair with books.

"Roots" by Alex Hailey - stunning.  Amazing. Heartbreaking and triumphant all at the same time.

"To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee- released me from my almost-paralyzing fear of "classics", having been burned by "The Scarlet Letter", "East of Eden" and "Catcher in the Rye" - not at all my style and off-putting to a budding literati.

"A Woman's Worth" by Marianne Williamson - led me to her lectures which got me through the hardest years of my life.

"And the Band Played On" by Randy Shilts - opened my eyes to the bureaucracy and the prejudice that existed and still exists surrounding AIDS and the Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual and Transgendered communities.  As a guest in that world, it wasn't always so clear to me. And I was young.

"Letters from the Quilt" - a compilation of letters people had written to accompany their entry into the Names Project Quilt.  I realized I was not alone in my grief.


2. One book that you’ve read more than once: 
All the Harry Potter  books 1-5.  Books 6 and 7 are still waiting for their second read throughs.

"Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" by Fannie Flagg

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: 

One book?  How impossible is that?  I would bring the Harry Potter series...should keep me entertained for a while.  And "Roots"...and maybe "Les Miserables" and "Wicked" (all 3 books).

4. One book that made you laugh: 

Barrel Fever by David Sedaris (especially "Santaland Diaries")

5. One book that made you cry: 

"Letters from the Quilt" - a collection of the letters people send in when they submit a quilt for a loved one to The Names Project.

6. One book that you wish had been written:

The story of Roby's life from his perspective

7. One book that you wish had never been written: 

Anything by Ann Coulter


8. One book you’re currently reading:

"The Wednesday Letters", "Twilight", "Discipline without Punishment", "It's Not About the Coffee", "The Book Thief"


9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: 
"The Diary of a Young Girl:  Anne Frank's Diary"

"Wicked", "Son of A Witch"

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin