Monday, November 17, 2008

Another Sappy Love Confession


Last night, I watched an episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and cried. This is nothing new. I cry almost every week when I watch that show. This week I was touched by the beautiful, gracious gratitude of the Frisch family. The parents had 3 birth children (all boys) and adopted 5 boys from an orphanage in Haiti and 3 additional boys from Toledo, Ohio. The father is a firefighter and the mother a youth counselor until she was struck down by a disease I had never even heard of before.

Weekly, I am amazed at the generosity and kindness of these families who take care of people in whatever way that they can, against the odds, without thinking of themselves. I am always amazed at how kind, well-mannered and gracious the children in these families are.

This week, the boys who were adopted (but who were every bit Frisch) talked about how they wanted to make the world a better place. Some of the boys wanted to go into service - fireman, policemen, etc. Some of the boys wanted to return to Haiti to make a difference. The University of Toledo (I believe) offered all 11 children full-ride scholarships so that they can go out into the world and make it better.

I love good people getting good things, good people doing good things. I know I'm a sucker, but it just helps start the week off well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin