Sunday, March 28, 2010

This is Real Life

This is real life. Go read the blog, look at the photos, watch the video.

When I started reading the blog, I felt a physical pull and when I close my eyes, I can see the hospital waiting room where Roby was. Through my tears for Eva, I wished that blogging and laptops and this constant recording of our lives had been around back then.  I have vivid memories of the days and nights we spent, watching, waiting.  We didn't take pictures.  Only a few. Roby didn't want people to think of him sick.

When I measure the days and times and value of life sometimes, I measure it against the condensed life of having an ill person in my life. Everything is stronger and longer and shorter and the meaning is distilled. Emotionally, I was more myself than at any other time in my life - I was doing the thing I was meant to do in the world. It is an incredible honor and an amazing and heartbreaking opportunity.

I keep reminding myself that I don't have to wait, to try to live strong every day. It is hard to remember daily. It is harder to practice that kind of mindfulness daily.  It is the only way to really live.  As I send out a prayer for Eva and her family, I send her thanks for helping remind me, again, that life is precious and I shouldn't forget it.  Thanks to Patti for posting this today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin