Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jury Duty

I forgot to report back on Jury Duty. I was called to Jury Duty for yesterday and I went. There was a huge long line to get into the courthouse because they don't open until 7:45am but they want everyone in by 8:00am...seemed a little weird when they called 353 people and only had one door open.

Anyway, we all assembled in the Jury room and filled out all the appropriate paperwork, watched the video and the first group was called. Of course, I was called into the first group, but we had to wait a while before any movement occurred. I pulled out my WordSearch and started working on it. To my left, a nice young woman who apparently married too young, had a child, got divorced and is now dating an older man she met at work. To my right, a woman I spotted immediately when she entered the space. Her energy (and voice) took up a lot of space in the room. She was loudly talking to the woman in charge about not knowing something about being there on time or something. Then, when I took all my paperwork up front, I took my purse with me and she promptly took my seat. She left one between herself and the young mother, so I sat there as the room was filling up quickly. Big energy woman then proceeded to call at least 3 people from her workplace to announce that she had just found out the night before that she had jury duty and she wasn't going to make it in for her shift. To be honest, I couldn't wait to go be in the courtroom to escape her phone calls.

I was a little disappointed that I wasn't selected to be on a jury, but I know it was for the best for me since I had a ton of work to do. I made it back to work and I was able to put in a full day in addition to the jury duty. I did my civic duty, even if I didn't have the opportunity to be involved in a trial. Honestly, I don't really need more responsibility in my life, so I'm fine with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin