Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Miscellaneous Stuff

First off, please take a moment to go read this post at 37Days. It made me cry and remember my dad's fierce response to Memorial Day. He remembered being spat on and yelled at and treated poorly when he came home from Vietnam. I know the memory of that was burned in his mind forever and it pained him until he died.

My mom and I went to see "Letters to Juliet" today (thumbs up, by the way). I saw two powerful trailers - totally different kinds of films, but both made me curious. One was just a regular movie with Zac Efron (I know, I know) called "Charlie St. Cloud". I think he has potential - kind of like Ashton Kutcher. The other film, "Waiting for Superman" is a documentary about the Seed School in Washington, D.C. I saw a report about it last week - they hold a lottery drawing to choose the students who will enroll the following year. I'm going to pledge to see it. Below is the trailer I saw today:



I have never made such a smart decision as coming home on Sunday! The airports were quiet in Sacramento and Portland (quieter in Sacramento). The traffic was calm. Today, right around the time I would have been coming home, a tree fell on the freeway and blocked the eastbound lanes. I would not have been a happy camper. Just having the extra time was such a relief and I also felt like I had a day of vacation that didn't involve running around or being "on". For me, it doesn't matter how close you are with people - when you are staying together, there is an element of being "on" to make sure we get along and have a good time. I'm a big believer in "off" time, too. I'm glad I had it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin