Saturday, May 22, 2010

Feeding the Broadway Beast

I somehow ended up on YouTube tonight. :) 

Found this great version of "I Dreamed a Dream" sung by Andrea McArdle.  She played the original "Annie" on Broadway and this is one of my very favorite Broadway songs. Great combo.


And here is Andrea McArdle in "Annie" back in the late 1970s or early 1980s.


"Annie" was the first musical I fell in love with when I was 12 years old. I kept checking the album out from our school library. Every week, I would take it back, dreading the day someone would have a hold on it. No one ever did, so I had it for months. Then finally, at some point, I had a copy of my own. I'm sure it was a Christmas or birthday gift, much to my sister's dismay. I sang all the songs and listened to it incessantly.  Little did I know how well Broadway tunes carry or how the clarity of a Broadway voice can pierce through walls, other music and try the patience of everyone else in the household. Little did I know that Broadway music would ultimately be my music of choice and would play such an important part in my world.

Right now, I am listening to "The Lion King" in preparation for the show in late June. Only one of the 5 CDs in my car CD changer is pop music - all the others are Broadway shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin