Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Rant about 3D

Okay. So, I said all the really nice stuff about "Avatar" yesterday. Today, I am going to rant about 3D.  First of all, if you only release something in 3D, I shouldn't have to pay extra to see it.  If there is a regular and a 3D and I CHOOSE to see 3D, fine, charge me for the stupid glasses.

I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure that I have made my feelings about 3D television pretty clear. Um, no. Thanks. So, with 3D movies, I guess it is fine, although I don't really get it. I mean, it's kind of cool, but I don't want to wear glasses in the movies if I don't have to. And I don't really like having things look like they are coming out of the screen at me.

Maybe it is because I have such a visual memory or an active imagination or a combination of the two. I have to be honest, I don't really care what it is - I find 3D to be kind of stressful. There were times in the movie when I felt really uncomfortable - physically - but I can't describe it. I just felt my stress level go up. Maybe it is the added depth that adds to reality? Maybe it feels more real this way and so it taps into that sense of fight or flight?

Anyway, I really hope that we move away from the 3D craze. Or at least continue to have choices. This time, it was my fault - I didn't see "Avatar" when it came out and I did have a choice to just see it regular. I guess I will have to think about these things in the future - super blockbuster - see it while it is in first release or I will have to sit through another 3-hour 3D fest.

Again, the movie was good. The 3D was not my favorite. Except for the little jelly-fish things that were from the tree...or maybe they are more like those dandelion petals that float off. What are those called, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin