Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quote and Heads Down

So, I was cleaning my office today. It is quite a chore - we moved into the "new" office more than a year ago, but I never stopped running long enough to unpack everything. My office is filled with boxes that I haven't even opened and I just got tired of it. Today I opened a few - I didn't make much progress, but I did find a bunch of notebooks and things I was using to try to be a better documentor. Hopefully, they will help.
Among the paperwork, I also found a book I had bought at Starbucks (before they laid off my friend). The book is titled "One: How many people does it take to make a difference?" and I found this little thing inside. It resonated. There was no resource, so I don't know who to credit other than the little Starbucks book. Here is the story:

Two Wolves

A Cherokee elder was teaching his children about life.
He said to them, “A terrible fight is going on inside me. It is a fight between two wolves. One is the wolf of joy, love, hope, kindness, and compassion. The other is the wolf of fear, anger, cynicism, indifference and greed. The same fight is going on inside of you and every other person too.” The children thought about it for a moment and then one child asked, “Which wolf will win?” The elder replied, “Whichever one you feed.”

I just thought this was a really simple and beautiful expression of something that I know.  Don't feed the beast.  It is so easy to go there sometimes. 

I have ben keeping my head down and feeding fear a little in the last few days since I got my "unfriendly" comment.  I have been thinking about it a lot and about what I want to do here on the blog and the voice I have or have not found.  It has been fascinating to realize what an impact something so small can have.  I guess I should really be thankful that the person took the time to tell me. I think there are always opportunities for growth - even when it stings a bit.

Anyway, it's all good.  I am excited for October because I had decided to do some "Four Word" stuff and I think that will be fun. I haven't done a theme in a long time and I find that challenging sometimes.  Should be a good month! Starting tomorrow - can you believe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin