Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Favorite "Roby and Jean" Photo

This picture was taken sometime in 1988 or 1989 at Ecola State Park. It is one of my favorite pictures ever - of Roby and I and of each of us individually. Just something about it.  I love that we are both wearing our rings (which you can't really see) and that Roby has one of his cartoon band aids on. This is kind of how he lives in my memory - this age, the way he looks, his hands. It's weird how things get stop framed sometimes - just a moment that somehow gets frozen in time and then generalized to a whole bunch of time and instances that really should look different, but don't.  I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me, but there you go.

Fall was one of Roby's favorite times of year - he loved Halloween and scary movies. I was thinking today about how he would have loved Lady GaGa and "Glee" and how he would constantly force me to listen to music. I never wanted to listen and always ended up loving the groups/singers he introduced me to. River City People, Everything but the Girl, Alison Moyet, Yaz, Culture Club, even Madonna.  One group, Breathe, only really had one song that we LOVED but I wouldn't have paid much attention to them if it hadn't been for Roby.

I know I have been waxing sentimental for a few days, but I just go where the spirit moves me here. I've been wanting to get back to myself - some more personal topics - lately and this feels like a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin