Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cutting it Close

Normally, I don't like to leave things to the last minute.  For interpreters, we have continuing education units that we have to earn to maintain our certification. We have to earn 80 hours of workshop/class/training time every 4 years. My cycle ends on Dec. 31 and I just completed the final .125 hours of my requirements. I'm a little bit over the amount required, but I like it that way in case someone drops the ball out there.

This is the first time I have been so close to the deadline - I blame it on having a full-time job. And, I took some workshops in the past couple of years that I didn't get the proper paperwork turned in ahead of time, so I didn't earn the CEUs for it, even though I did attend. Dumb.

So, I have already started on my next cycle - paying for it anyway. I am going to TerpExpo in January where I will be able to earn at least a couple of CEUs.  I have found several good on-line places to do some work and I am working on some projects.  My goal is to do 30 hours a year so that by the last year, even if I don't have to do anything, I will be a little bit over and will have continued to develop my skills and learning.  I actually can't wait to get started!

Now, wish me luck that all the people who are responsible for reporting these things does their job so that I'm not fighting to keep my certification.  On second thought, I may be doing another short one this weekend, just to be sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin