Friday, December 23, 2011

Sparkle Goes Christmas Shopping

First of all, yes, I am getting as much mileage out of *Sparkle* as I can because I know it will go away soon and I am enjoying it too much. :)

So, I finished my Christmas shopping today (I kept putting it off on the way home from work).  Overall, it wasn't too bad because I had decided that whatever got done was going to be as good as it gets. The traffic was pretty bad around town, but I was listening to "West Side Story" as prep for my show, so I didn't really care about that.

The one thing that was the most challenging and really put a damper on my whole experience was the number of shoppers who were on their cell phones in the store, standing in the center of the aisle with their carts just gabbing on the phone.  Really?  It's amazing we ever lived a day without being on the phone 24/7!

In particular, one woman in the toy section with her poor husband.  He stood dutifully by watching as his wife, clearly dulled from all the electronic signals zapping her brain, stood in the middle of the toy aisle talking on the phone. Even when I said, "Excuse me" for the third time, she didn't move. Every time I went down an aisle, there she was. There he was. Looking apologetic, but not apologetic enough to MOVE THE CART.  Mostly, I just walked away and tried another approach to get where I was going. Finally, after the fourth or fifth encounter, I just pushed on by.  I did see them in another area later, so I went out of my way to walk through the book section so that I wouldn't have to deal with them.

I will never understand the need to be on the phone every waking moment.  I will never understand constantly being on the phone in stores (or anywhere else).  I can feel my feet fossilizing as I type. I don't care. I still don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin