Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Reverb 10 - Day 29: DEFINING MOMENT

December 29 – Defining Moment

Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year.(Author: Kathryn Fitzmaurice)


On a rainy day in February 2010, as I was driving to a doctor's appointment and then as I was parked in the parking lot, I was called to a conference call for work. The FCC had made a ruling that directly impacted the company I work for and we were not sure we would be in business by the end of the following week.

I went into my medical appointment and my blood pressure was so high, they almost hospitalized me that day.  They literally took my blood pressure within 10 minutes of me getting this frightening, disturbing news. I know I was in shock. I made them take my blood pressure again after a few minutes. They did an EKG and referred me to a cardiologist the Monday after to be sure everything was okay.

Not only was I scared to death about that, but then possibly finding that I would be without health insurance within a matter of days. Scary stuff.

Lots of challenges, lots of scary days, lots of wishing I had never gotten involved in my industry, lots of days knowing that I was in the right place at the right time and that I could lead my team through the days and months ahead, nights when I couldn't sleep for worrying, days when it was all I could do to get up in the morning. Days I thought about bailing.

I am feeling much better - physically, mentally, spiritually. The job is strong, the company is strong, the people are strong. I am good. I am glad I stayed.

{Future tool: The 99%’s How to Budget for an Irregular Income. For the next 3 days as you round out your year, we’ll share one tool each day to help you plan your year ahead.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin