Monday, December 13, 2010

Reverb 10 - Day 13: ACTION

December 13 – Action When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)

Well, this is a very good question.  I have several aspirations and then I have what I have actually been doing.  In all cases, the next step is to tear away all the excuses and all the distractions and jump in.

I haven't decided on my word for the New Year, but I know that I want to make some things happen. The big step (which isn't that big) is to plan my life enough to purposefully make time for things. For a long time now, I have just been sort of blowing in the wind of this chaotic little life and I realized that I just have to take my intentions and act on them.

You know how you see someone that you like a LOT and you really, really want to see them more and get to know them more and you both always say, "Let's get together...really...We'll have lunch...really." You both mean it and you really want to but you have to check your calendar, check with your partner, make sure you don't have to work or have another social conflict.  For me, it is always better to make the appointment right then. If it is a date, I will be there barring illness or emergency. I might be late, but I will be there.

It is like doctor's appointments - I'm better at going to the ones that are made after the one I just had. I'm not good at calling for an appointment. I always have the receptionist make the next appointment for me right away so that I won't procrastinate.

For me, several things are on my list to be more disciplined, to plan better, to actually do them:  Take a couple of art classes in the Winter, do my art journaling classes (I took a couple of on-line classes but I haven't DONE them), work on some writing pieces, read 30 minutes a day, rehearse more and further ahead for my shows, reorganize my work room so that I can do my crafty things there, too.  All these things requires is time and attention, true, but not overwhelming amounts. Just dedicated. Can you imagine what I could have done if I had just started a little bit at a time a long time ago? Like my BA degree...I have 30 credits or so left. If I would just take a class at a time, I would be done soon. I need to make it happen.

Anyway, sounds like a bunch of double-talk, I know, but I understand what I mean.

Anyway, ACTION is a good topic for me right now. I needed this reminder.

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea--actually making a plan or appointment to do something rather than simply talking about it.
    I need to remember this for next year. To keep in mind that if it's not on my calendar, it's not going to happen.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin