Friday, December 17, 2010

Reverb 10 - Day 17: LESSON LEARNED

December 17 – Lesson Learned What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? (Author: Tara Weaver)

I guess I jumped here on Day 16, didn't I?

I learned a lot of hard lessons this year about myself and about other people. I think the BEST lesson is that you can only change yourself. You can only be yourself. Sometimes I wish I could be more like this person or have this quality or that. I can work on developing those qualities that I admire, but I can also work on developing myself and the qualities that are good and make me uniquely Jean.

Applying this lesson is something I have already been doing. It isn't easy - to know that I can only change myself. Sometimes I squirm around because I think if I change what I do or how I do it, I will get a different response, but that isn't always true. I think the most important thing is to detach myself from the outcome. All my successes and all the most surprising positives have come when I just put myself out there, warts and all, and let it be.  People can decide to love you, to hate you, to be indifferent.  That's their choice. I don't really want haters or indifferent people in my life, so if I put out an image that isn't Jean, how do I know what is real?

P.S. If this is entirely incoherent, please put it down to 8 hours on planes and in airports and being dehydrated and jet lag. Hopefully, tomorrow, I will be back to my usual level of incoherence rather than the traveling incoherence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin