In 2010, I discovered many communities, both online and in 3D. I made some realizations, too.
- I joined Facebook in 2009 and struggled to figure out how I was going to interact with it. In 2010, I have found my own way in that social media outlet - I use it for what I need both personally and professionally. I know there is a community of people there, from my work world, my personal world, and my past. If I need help, if I need some kind of support, I can find some there, both digitally and in real life.
- I remembered that sometimes you have a deep connection with people almost instantaneously. There is no explaining it and no doubting that it happens. I reconnected with a person that happened with and I was pleased to find out that they felt the same way.
- I connected with people in the writing and art journal world, even to the point of attending a retreat. I didn't ask anyone to join me, I didn't go with anyone and I didn't sit on the sidelines and watch - I met people and enjoyed the interaction and made some connections there.
- I realized that I do tend to sideline it a lot. I don't know if that is partially from being an interpreter - never really invited to the party, but still present. Not involved, but having an impact anyway. I wonder if I lost my community interaction skills as I was gaining skills as an interpreter. I wonder if it is just my way and then interpreting really cemented that.
- I want to join the crafty/art journal community in my local area. I need to have some non-work related distractions to keep my balance.
- I want to be more connected to people. Sometimes I struggle there - my life is so full of boundaries and I am always aware of them. Sometimes they are a little more like electrified barbed wire and I can feel their outlines surrounding me.
- I want to be a better link in my personal community - to stop taking people for granted and get back to showing people how much I care for them. I haven't done that as much as I should. There are lots of reasons for that, but I want to put them aside and just do what I think is right.