Monday, December 27, 2010

Reverb 10 - Day 27: ORDINARY JOY

December 27 – Ordinary Joy

Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?  (Author: Brené Brown)

For me a couple of things come to mind in terms of profound joy in ordinary moments:
  • Watching the "Les Miserables" 25 Year Anniversary Concert
  • Collaging 
  • Sitting on the deck at the beach listening to the waves, feeling the warmth of the sun on my face and watching for whales
  • Talking with M.
  • Conversations with Todd
  • Dinner party with the old gang 
  • Seeing "The Lion King" and "In the Heights" (I didn't think I would like it) 
  • Listening to music and playing solitaire on the computer ("Conviction of the Heart" and "Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen" come to mind) 
If I had to pick ONE, I would pick watching "Les Miserables" on the big screen. I know I keep writing about it, but I think I had some profound moments that evening. It was just such a strong reminder of Roby, of my love of theatre, my passion for the music, that we are all here to love each other and to see the humanity in each other and that's all there really is in life.  I can almost bring that feeling back when I close my eyes and remember watching it - heart racing, on the edge of my seat, tears streaming.

Admittedly, I am a little sad that my most precious memory of joy in an ordinary moment is not with another human being. It has not been a year of human contact for me really. There have been notable moments, but really, 2010 was a year about standing on my own two feet and learning to be comfortable in my shoes. I'm not part of a pair, I'm not overshadowed by another stronger person, I'm not hanging out with someone that everyone wonders "What does she see in THEM?". It was mostly just me and my decisions. Me and my foibles. Me and my successes. Me and me. That's all.  It is a lonely place, but I think, ultimately, a necessary one.

{Future tool: Tara Mohr’s The Next Steps After Vision… For the next 5 days as you round out your year, we’ll share one tool each day to help you plan your year ahead.
For a visual journey into reflecting + manifesting, check the Flickr images tagged with #reverb10.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin