Saturday, February 12, 2011

Revised Title: Thoughts about VDay from 2011

I watched the movie "Valentine's Day" tonight.  I liked it a lot more than I had expected to - it is one of those movies with a lot of stars.  Sometimes those movies don't come together well or you think someone is going to be in it and they are in it for like two minutes and it is very unsatisfying.  This movie seemed to tie all the pieces together and utilized all the stars pretty well.

There is one character in the movie, played by Jessica Biel, who is totally neurotic about Valentine's Day and how she is alone on Valentine's Day every year. Her character got me to thinking about this. I have never felt like less of a person if I don't have someone to celebrate Valentine's day with and I have never understood people who do.

When I was growing up, Valentine's Day was a holiday for kids mostly.  I always dreaded it because I was afraid I wouldn't get any valentines at school. Several of our big moves happened in December or January, so when Valentine's Day rolled around, I was still the new kid on the block. Luckily, by the time I was in school, they had instituted the all-or-nothing rule - if you were giving out valentine cards, you had to give them to the whole class or none at all.  Back in the 1970s, they didn't have "Harry Potter" Valentines or themes from Disney - they mostly had animals and cutesy kids and stuff like that.  There was always a valentine in the package that was a little meaner or not as cute or definitely for the kid in class you didn't like as well. I remember a couple of years that I didn't want to give those meaner/undesirable valentines because I felt there would be repercussions.

I think I said this last year on Valentine's Day - my dad never forgot Valentine's Day.  He didn't make a huge deal of it, but he always brought us something - flowers, a necklace, something to let us know he was thinking of us.  Since that wasn't really his regular way, it was always really sweet that he would do that.

Anyway, just some things I was thinking about today.

**I was getting all these random hits from all over the world from people who were Googling "Valentine's Day Thoughts", so I thought I would change the title and prevent some pain for those who are really just looking for a quote for their sweetie. Who knows if it will work...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin